3B2 (was Re: [rescue] Q: media checker under OS/X?)

Steve Sandau ssandau at bath.tmac.com
Mon Oct 21 06:08:51 CDT 2002

> >Color me jealous. The Navy office we work with had several 3B2's. I
> >wanted one. The sent them to DRMO in Portsmouth, NH. The version of Unix
> >they ran was actually pretty advanced for its time. Have fun!
>
> Actually I've had my own 3B2 since around 91 or 92... first "real"
> computer I owned. The piece I just scored is the VME version,
> which I've *never* seen before.
>
> Where any of the ones the Navy had in black cases? Just before
> the 3B2 line was killed off, they were switching from the
> WE32000 to a MIPS cpu. Supposedly a hundred or so made it out
> to the wild, all to the military. Supposedly they are easily
> identified by their black cases.

Been a while, but I seem to remember that the cases were tan or
something, I don't remember them being that dark. Evidently, I just
found out, the 3B2s at the Navy office in Bath were originally with some
other branch of the military (Air Force?) who didn't want them. I
suspect they were earlier ones...

They ran AT&T Unix, I think. I rememeber being somewhat confused by them
at first; it was my first run-in with a SysV Unix.

--
Steve Sandau
IS Technician, TMA Bath, Maine
ssandau at bath.tmac.com