[rescue] A/UX, was RE: Mac: is this an X client?

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Sun Oct 20 23:23:42 CDT 2002

Steve Hatle [shatle at nfldinet.com] wrote:

> It is- the WGS95 is a Quadra 950 with the PDS cache card. A WGS9150 was the
> PPC variant of this. The 950 could run A/UX; IIRC it was the only OS that
> took advantage of the PDS cache card. The 9150 ran Appleshare IP under
> regular MacOS. No A/UX there.  .  .

Not only was it the only OS that took advantage, it was the only OS that
would boot with that card installed.  MacOS won't boot with the card in
there. :(  Of course, this was years ago, things may have changed, but I
doubt it.

On the other hand, the WGS95 screamed in its day.  It was designed to be
used as an AppleShare server.  With A/UX, it could serve -way- more
clients than MacOS.  *sniff* I loved the little box.  That was the first
'real' server that was mine, all mine.

For nostalgia sake, I bought a Q950 at the local surplus.  Only 16MB of
RAM, and a 1GB disk, but hey, it was three dollars.  I -have- to install
A/UX on it.

> I was thinking after reading this thread that the Quadra 700 has the same
> PDS slot connector as the Q950. I wonder if that card would fit in the Q700
> case. _That_ would be a sweet little machine! <grin> I'll have to double
> check the FAQ and then eyeball the card/slot and see if things line up.
> Methinks the card is too big to go into the Q700 case.

Do you actually have the card?  It is not at all small.  In fact, I
think the only way it would fit in a Q700 case would be diagonally,
which wouldn't be at all useful.

Mike
--
"Let the power of Ponch compel you!  Let the power of Ponch compel you!"
   -- Zorak on Space Ghost