[rescue] External CDROM drive for Indigo2

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sun Oct 13 16:18:43 CDT 2002

On Sun, Oct 13, 2002 at 02:22:26PM -0400, Carl R. Friend wrote:
> looks intesting.  What can you tell me about a Sun Netra NFS (aka
> Netra Enterprise 150)?  The machine is an Ultra-1 under the covers,
> runs a stripped-down version of Solaris 2.5.1 and a rather neat
> Web interface for maintaining the RAID (5) metadevice and other bits.
> Can I run Solaris 9 on the thing?  (I understand I may need an OBP
> "upgrade" to do it.)

Should work just fine.  Just DO NOT take out the "packing foam" inside
the machine! 8-)  We had a discussion about that box a few weeks/months
ago.. lemme hit the search engine..

http://www.sunhelp.org/pipermail/sunhelp/2000-June/003934.html
http://www.sunhelp.org/pipermail/geeks/2002-June/027044.html

Its a nice, semi-rare box, but yeah, its really an Ultra 1/Ultra Enterprise
1 in a vertical stand with that funky foam, and more space for internal
drives.  I used one *as* a Netra NFS back at ionet.net in '96.  Upgrade
the OBP (an easy thing to do), and throw sol9 on there.

When I run into any "Netra" boxes (back when the term meant "turnkey
web or nfs server" from Sun), I immediately just put a 'normal' load of
Solaris 8 or 9 on them.  The hardware is the same, the only difference is
that "Netra" badge on the front.

>    For funsies, you may wish to note that I'm actually typing this
> note on a SPARCstation-10 (dual TMS390Z55) that's on its way to getting
> Sol 9 loaded on it (I need to get used to it for work, and haven't the
> "spare" time there).  The headers will state that the message came from
> Elm on a Linux box, but I'm telnetted into that one at the moment.

In any case, Welcome!  You dont have to own or even use a Sun machine to
be on this list (in fact, I need to change the header to not be Sun-
specific; its open for people who rescue machines of any sort).

Bill

--
bill bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net