[rescue] External CDROM drive for Indigo2

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Sun Oct 13 20:14:46 CDT 2002

   Bill Bradford writes:

> [Solaris 9] Should work just fine [on a Netra NFS].  Just DO NOT take
> out the "packing foam" inside the machine! 8-)

   Considering that the "foam" is the only thing holding the insides
of the box together, I doubt I'll be "removing" any of it any time
soon!  :-)  It's the UPS that has my innards in an uproar.  That damn
thing keeps the main power supply from firing up properly (which, of
course, keeps Prestoserve from working properly).

> [The Netra NFS is a], semi-rare box, but yeah, its really an
> Ultra 1/Ultra Enterprise 1 in a vertical stand with that funky foam,
> and more space for internal drives.  I used one *as* a Netra NFS back
> at ionet.net in '96.  Upgrade the OBP (an easy thing to do), and
> throw sol9 on there.

   The machine in question has some historical value (to me at
least) as it performed yeoman service at a previous place of
employment.  As such, I'm a wee bit hesitant to erase the system
disk in favour of a "new" version of the OS.  I think the user
interface is quite interesting; is that likely to survive an OS
"upgrade" (I doubt it.)?

> When I run into any "Netra" boxes (back when the term meant "turnkey
> web or nfs server" from Sun), I immediately just put a 'normal' load of
> Solaris 8 or 9 on them.  The hardware is the same, the only difference is
> that "Netra" badge on the front.

   I'm not only interested in the underlying iron, I'm after the
original intent of the system.  Maybe I'll preserve the original
system disk (non-mirrored - go figure) so I can ressurect the
"real" system at any point.