[rescue] External CDROM drive for Indigo2

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Sun Oct 13 13:22:26 CDT 2002

   Bill,

> CARL!

   Good grief.  I feel like I'm "Cheers" where "everybody knows your
name".  <grin>

> Your web page(s) are one of the things that inspired me to start collecting
> computers in 1993, and indirectly, led to SunHELP and the creation of the
> related lists (this one included).

   You have no idea how happy that makes me.  It's wonderful to know
that I _have_ made a difference in the "way things work" in this
small world.

   In any event, I stumbled across this list rather by accident this
morning (looking for PDP-10 bits), and figured I'd give it a go.  The
list header:

>        particularly Sun equipment,
>        from the dump. <rescue.sunhelp.org>

looks intesting.  What can you tell me about a Sun Netra NFS (aka
Netra Enterprise 150)?  The machine is an Ultra-1 under the covers,
runs a stripped-down version of Solaris 2.5.1 and a rather neat
Web interface for maintaining the RAID (5) metadevice and other bits.
Can I run Solaris 9 on the thing?  (I understand I may need an OBP
"upgrade" to do it.)

   For funsies, you may wish to note that I'm actually typing this
note on a SPARCstation-10 (dual TMS390Z55) that's on its way to getting
Sol 9 loaded on it (I need to get used to it for work, and haven't the
"spare" time there).  The headers will state that the message came from
Elm on a Linux box, but I'm telnetted into that one at the moment.

					Sincerely,