[rescue] MacOS essentials

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Fri May 31 10:36:45 CDT 2002

The trick is:

1. Get a freeware de-binhexer from the Internet (check version-tracker)
2. Download Aladdin in Binhex form.  Open it
3. Go get any other software you need thence-forth. (including Fetch)

A full OEM/Retail MacOS will have Aladdin Expander included.  Software
Recovery Apple Service CD's don't.  They also don't have a web browser
which becomes a pain in the arse too.

Now that I have an Appletalk network running on my G3 I just use it to
get anything I need for the older boxen.  I also finally got Windows
2000 Advanced Server up, and boy does Services for Macintosh come in
handy... I was doing support for someone who moved from a Powerbook G3
to an HP Pavilion laptop (yes she is a moron)  I was actually doing
support for my friend's store in exchange for RAM, and I used Appletalk
to put her disk contents on my drive, then Win2KAS to put her disk
contents on a Mac volume on the Win machine, then Windows fileshare to
put the contents on a regular win fileshare, and then back down onto her
XP laptop.  (required for filename translation... she was also a moron
with regards to what she named her 11,000 files  tons of illegal chars
even in FAT32 with unicode).  Then of course I had the fun of importing
her contacts from Outlook 4.5 Mac to Outlook Express 6... yay... I had
to use good old vi with global replace to replace all the tabs with
commas.  It did work fortunately.  Quickbooks also worked to export, but
I didn't export Quicken quite right...urgh... why do people get these
shiny junk PC's?... It was really pretty for a PC with cool blue light
borders on buttons... but it was still a PIII 1.2 Ghz.  Maybe we just
saved the world of Powerbooks from her hands, however... her keyboard
was bent.

Andrew