[rescue] Re: Solaris 9 issues

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Tue May 28 11:04:27 CDT 2002

On Tue, 28 May 2002, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 08:50:49AM -0700, James Lockwood wrote:
> > On Wed, 22 May 2002, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> > > I was under the impression that it was more broken than that. I doubt I
> > > really need more that 4gigs of address space, at least not on my Ultra1.
> >
> > One of the cooler "mundane" uses of big address space is being able to
> > carve out big chunks of tmpfs.
>
> Could you explain?  Do you mean use large files in /tmp for scratch work?

You can mount tmpfs anywhere you like, not just /tmp.  In the past I have
realized considerable speed boosts with databases (such as Texis) that
operated on read-only indices by generating the indices and then copying
them into a dedicated tmpfs area (use the size= option to cap the maximum
size and keep it from sucking virtual memory away from the rest of the
system).

These systems did have quite a bit of paging space configured (usually
10-20GB) so that is of course the tradeoff.

> Keep in mind that the box in questions primary purpose is to be a mail
> server.  Secondary purpose is to hold files and data for when I'm away from
> home (bookmarks, addressbook, expenses).  Teriary purpose is for running
> math programs when I'm away from home, and screwing around.  Screwing around
> meaning lisp stuff, image processing stuff, non-interactive graphics, etc.
>
> Basically, a home away from home.

Probably not very relevant then.

-James