[rescue] Minor auction treasure. Sun 670MP - 690MP(?)

ghub005 at xtra.co.nz ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Mon May 20 23:48:57 CDT 2002

Mike said:

<<
The only difference between the 670 & the 690 is the case they're in. If
it's a 56" high 'refrigerator' sized box, it's a 690. If it's in a
smaller case that is shorter than a normal desk, then it's the 670. Oh,
another difference is that the 690 holds 16 cards total, and the 670
only 12.

I picked up the system today. Curiously the system cabinet is a deskside 1990 vintage 4/470GX (MDL 1247) unit but the system board has been upgraded to the 501-2055 (so it is now a 670MP).

The system board has only a single SM51 cpu on it and 32*4MB 30 pin SIMMs. It also has a GX frame buffer, a FW-SCSI card, and a FW-SCSI & 10BaseT combo card.

The other VME card is a 501-1767 memory board. It also has 32*4MB SIMMs on it.

The system disk is a single full-height 750MB seagate jobbie and there is an 8mm 150MB tape drive and a CDROM (missing the caddy of course) as well. Unfortunately the SCSI cable that connects the drive cage to the system board is missing so I can't probe the old OS or install a new OS yet. The SCSI cable is one of the older style 50 pin plugs with 17-16-17 layout and I don't have one of those in the spares box.

The system starts into OpenBoot with no problem, but for some reason I can only see 128MB of RAM. Does anyone know why this is?

Regards,

Gavin Hubbard