[rescue] Minor auction treasure. Sun 670MP - 690MP(?)

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon May 20 04:55:43 CDT 2002

On Mon, 20 May 2002 ghub005 at xtra.co.nz wrote:

> I'm pretty sure I got a Sun 670MP or 690MP system.

Rockin'.  I wanted one of those a couple years ago, but couldn't afford
them.  Now I don't have the room.  I've always appreciated VME
systems--they look old as hell, but have enough bus capacity to run at an
acceptable speed.

> The last thing I got was an SS10 Soundbox. Now all I need is an SS10
> to go with it! For those who know such things, will this work with my
> SS20?

An SS20 doesn't need it, as an SS20 has analog outputs on the back.  The
soundbox will work with an SS10 or LX--basically any machine with an AT&T
DBRI chip doing ISDN and audio.  The speakerbox actually contains the
analog portion of the sound system, and has a serial bus back to the SS10.
I believe NeXT had a system of similar design.

--Jonathan