[rescue] IBM on ebay

Eric Webb ttlchaos at randomc.com
Fri May 17 22:38:02 CDT 2002

On Friday 17 May 2002 10:55 pm, you wrote:
> >We did something like this at work last year.  Found out that ALL of the
> >servers in the datacenter had support contracts *for monitors as well*,
> > even if the boxes were headless with serial consoles!  So, we dug out all
> > the old crapped-out 19"s and 20"s we had, a couple guys brought in some
> > decrepit ones from home, etc, and we got all of them swapped out for
> > brand new Sun/
>
> Bringing in personal monitors and getting 'em swapped for new ones under a
> company service contract?  Is it just me, or does something seem, well,
> wrong, about this?  Hopefully I'm just misreading this.

In our case, IBM would replace them under the machine's serial number (and
thus its maintenance contract).  They really have no clue what was attached
to it before.  Of course, you will probably want to play it carefully because
they might be able to tell that a single machine has had its 6091 replaced
with a P200 three times in a row and raise a flag.

-E.