[rescue] IBM on ebay

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Fri May 17 22:25:04 CDT 2002

> >We did something like this at work last year.  Found out that ALL of the
> >servers in the datacenter had support contracts *for monitors as well*, even
> >if the boxes were headless with serial consoles!  So, we dug out all the
> >old crapped-out 19"s and 20"s we had, a couple guys brought in some decrepit
> >ones from home, etc, and we got all of them swapped out for brand new Sun/
>
> Bringing in personal monitors and getting 'em swapped for new ones under a
> company service contract?  Is it just me, or does something seem, well,
> wrong, about this?  Hopefully I'm just misreading this.

When I first got the hardware support list for one of my clients
I found that we had been getting charged for TZ88 drives instead
of the TZ87 drives that actually existed.  I called the support
company and requested that they fix the contract and refund the
difference back as far as I found documentation.  They said they
couldn't do that, so I called in to have the drives replaced by
TZ88s.  They said asked how all the drives went bad at once.  I
told them what was going on with the contract and said if we
were getting charged for the TZ88 drives we were going to get
the TZ88 drives.

The contract got fixed and we got a refund for three years.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net