[rescue] SS10 Sbus slot count

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Thu May 16 16:25:02 CDT 2002

On Thu, 16 May 2002, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> What is the point of fast disk systems on a file server if nothing can talk
> it any where close to full speed?

Low latency.  For 90% of the usual fileserver systems I have worked with
latency was more important than bandwidth.  With multiple systems
contending for the disks simultaneously I think that you will find
bottlenecks at your spindles rather than at your network interfaces.

> I don't think I'll be getting a suitable Ultrasparc anytime soon, but we'll
> see.  An alpha seems like a more budget friendly candidate. On the upside,
> if I'm using a PCI machine, I can fall back to NetBSD instead of Solaris.

SparcEngine AXi.  Cheap, 6 PCI slots, dual onboard UW SCSI.  Used one as
my main fileserver for 2 years.

-James