[rescue] SS10 Sbus slot count

Big Endian bigendian at mac.com
Fri May 17 16:22:35 CDT 2002

>Yikes.  SS1ks are nice but I'm not sure they are cost effective.  I
>certainly can't afford an AS2100.

AS2100s are about the same price last time I looked.  (2100s are the
BIG SMP EV4 based alpha boxes w/ two storage works shelves and
massive expansion)

<snip network topology idea>

>Yikes.  Sounds hard.  Maybe I should just give up on having decent performance
>and just go get a second job instead so that some year I'll be able to just
>buy stuff, when I'm too burnt out to work.  I hate networking stuff.

Its a little bit hard to setup initially but once you have it setup
its has great advantages in addition to the bandwidth issues
described above. For instance it removes the need to set default
routes on machines that support router discovery.  This helps for
irix 6.2 and below because they don't recognize /etc/defaultrouter.
It also allows you to build logically separate networks easier (one
for you, one for your parents, one for the servers...).  It also
gives you massive geek points if you have multiple nets going.

<snip why I like solaris now>

>I've been running Linux a long time.  I have a few gripes.  I definately
>prefer NetBSD.  So far I find Solaris to be a nightmare.  Maybe if I started
>both at the same time...

I've never used NetBSD.  But once I got out of linux mode I got into
IRIX and so solaris complemented what I was doing with IRIX at the
time.  Being an admin for a living, solaris just feels "right"
compared to redhat and suse (distros I've used in production).  (I
object to debian on political grounds).

daniel