[rescue] Sun Blade 100 Question - IDE

Big Endian bigendian at mac.com
Fri May 10 09:46:45 CDT 2002

>  > there is no reason why he can't do raid on the SB100, and he doesn't need a
>>  PCI RAID card to do it either.
>>

>Absolutely right - but his question was about hardware RAID - not
>software.  If he wants to do software RAID - that's easy, but it still
>shouldn't create a performance hit AFAIK.

The issue is the IDE bus config.  If you have two devices on an IDE
channel, you get a significant performance hit on that bus.  I've
seen numbers up to a 40% hit if you have two hard disks on the same
bus.

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confPerformance-c.html
http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.html?i=1237&p=1

daniel