[rescue] Sun Blade 100 Question - IDE

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Fri May 10 09:48:05 CDT 2002

> The issue is the IDE bus config.  If you have two devices on an IDE
> channel, you get a significant performance hit on that bus.  I've
> seen numbers up to a 40% hit if you have two hard disks on the same
> bus.

Ah!  I've become spoiled by SCSI and FC.

I'm sorry. but that sounds broken to me.  Why use something that sucks
so bad?  It might be cheap, but what are the real cost savings as
opposed to using inexpensive SCSI?  Is it just because a 120GB disk can
be had for less than $100?  Cheap storage on a single spindle?  Like I
said, broken...
--
Kurt
kurt at k-huhn.com
Editor: "We need a new food critic, someone who doesn't immediately
poo-poo everything he eats."
Homer: "Naw, that usually takes a few hours."