[rescue] Re: Re: u5>u30?!?

Eric Webb ttlchaos at randomc.com
Fri May 10 06:11:13 CDT 2002

On Wednesday 08 May 2002 10:11 pm, you wrote:
> I doubt that any IDE drive can sustain 33MB/s.  One is probably talking
> about sustaining something closer to 10megs per second, but I haven't
> tested all the drives available.

Actually, the sustained rates for many of the newer drives > 80GB at 7200rpm
are in the 30-40MB/s range, and I am talking about sustained.

> > They're about $100 at CSC's retail side I think, 90 day warranty. 73gig
> > SCSI is only $300 at hitechcafe.com these days (I think $300 > $100 these
> > days).
>
> 36gig scsi is running around $120 now.  2 of those and you are talking
> 72gigs for $240.

You're still talking 3X the price for the same space (or, 3X the price for
half as much space, but with mirroring).  It just depends on the application.

> Better still,  9 gigs drives are easy to come buy for far less per gig.
> How about $150 for 91gigs?  Of course, that will require 2 scsi controllers
> (which are really cheap for PCI machines), and 2 enclosures (find junky
> old ones and fit SCA backplanes into them.

... and much more power, more heat, more noise, more physical space...... all
valid considerations in certain/most home environments.

-E.