[rescue] Re: Re: u5>u30?!?

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Wed May 8 21:11:37 CDT 2002

On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 06:53:36PM -0700, Robert Novak wrote:

> I am a SCSI snob when I have the resources, but I don't have the official
> Joshua blinders yet. I know that not everyone needs SCSI. If you're just
> using the machine as an X terminal, for example, the difference between
> SCSI and IDE is negligible. DNS on a small (<1000 domains) nameserver
> probably doesn't exceed 33MB/sec either.

I doubt that any IDE drive can sustain 33MB/s.  One is probably talking
about sustaining something closer to 10megs per second, but I haven't
tested all the drives available.

Also, DNS on a small name server doesn't require a lot of disk space.  A
$10 4gig drive should be far mor than possibly needed.  That is one of
the keys to affording scsi, don't put more in a machine than you need to.

> Anyone who thinks every computer system for every purpose and audience
> requires SCSI... doesn't have enough practical and pragmatic knowledge
> about system building to speak on the matter (or they have way too much
> money to throw away, in which case my paypal address is my email address).

I think every computer should have scsi.   I have to admit that I have 5
machines that aren't pure scsi.  1 of them I'm working to replace with
an all scsi machine, one of them is a mac that will eventually be replaced,
but in the mean time it doesn't have enough PCI slots for another SCSI
controller, and 2 are because I'm too lazy to finish converting them (meaning
reinstalling the OSs).  And then there is my notebook.  I'd love a nice Sun
or Apple notebook with SCSI, but the prices aren't right yet.

I don't fancy paying for a SCSI DVD-Rom, but maybe a IDE accelerator is
close enough.

> They're about $100 at CSC's retail side I think, 90 day warranty. 73gig
> SCSI is only $300 at hitechcafe.com these days (I think $300 > $100 these
> days).

36gig scsi is running around $120 now.  2 of those and you are talking
72gigs for $240.

Better still,  9 gigs drives are easy to come buy for far less per gig.
How about $150 for 91gigs?  Of course, that will require 2 scsi controllers
(which are really cheap for PCI machines), and 2 enclosures (find junky
old ones and fit SCA backplanes into them.

--
Joshua D. Boyd

Social Security - I have greater faith that Elvis is alive
and programming VAX assembler than that I will ever receive
a dime from it.  --  Patrick Giagnocavo