[rescue] Crosse-Platform Graphic Benchmarks

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Thu May 9 17:04:25 CDT 2002

On Thu, 9 May 2002, Michael Dombrowski wrote:

> I just got my Elite3D m3 in and I'm pretty disappointed with its
> performance. I'm beginning to think that if I want to do non-Intel 3D
> then Sun is not the platform for me. I'm looking at machines like
> HP's C240 with FX4 and SGI's Octane SI-SSE, but to tell the truth I
> have no idea how these perform versus my U30 with Elite3D or
> Creator3D. Anybody know of a site that has cross-platform OpenGL
> benchmarks? I've looked at Spec but only found like 8 Intel-based

What mix of code are you trying to run?

The C3D/E3D are designed for shaded CAD.  They are quite fast for this use
(my AXi/E3D was in the top 5 of the rendering Blenchmark list, topped only
by SGI Onyx's and Onyx2's).

They have miserable texturing performance.  If you are doing extensive
texturing and are frustrated by speed then you are unlikely to be happy
with certain low end SGI boards (textureless SI/SSE, I2/Solid Impact,
etc).

-James