[rescue] Crosse-Platform Graphic Benchmarks

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu May 9 18:46:03 CDT 2002

On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 05:53:29PM -0400, Michael Dombrowski wrote:
> I just got my Elite3D m3 in and I'm pretty disappointed with its
> performance. I'm beginning to think that if I want to do non-Intel 3D
> then Sun is not the platform for me. I'm looking at machines like
> HP's C240 with FX4 and SGI's Octane SI-SSE, but to tell the truth I
> have no idea how these perform versus my U30 with Elite3D or
> Creator3D. Anybody know of a site that has cross-platform OpenGL
> benchmarks? I've looked at Spec but only found like 8 Intel-based
> workstations in the results.

Unless you have unreasonably high standards, the Octane SI should be quite
nice.  I would imagine that an SI+Tram or MXI would be cheaper than the SSE
though, and a lot nicer since the SSE still lacks texturing.

I base this on having used Solid Impacts, High Impacts, and Max Impacts (which
is approximately SI, SI+TRAM, and MXI equiv), and all where nice, and Octanes
only get better.

But benchmarks are pretty meaning less unless you tell us what you want to do.
Games?  Programming?  Visualization?  Animation?

--
Joshua D. Boyd

Social Security - I have greater faith that Elvis is alive
and programming VAX assembler than that I will ever receive
a dime from it.  --  Patrick Giagnocavo