[rescue] Introduction + Cray Solaris questions

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Wed May 8 10:05:51 CDT 2002

On Wed, 8 May 2002, Brian Hechinger wrote:

> there are markings on the side from when this thing has had it's regular
> scheduled maint. done to it.  it hasn't been touched in YEARS.  i seriously
> doubt that it's clean burning and high efficiency.  but then again, the realty
> company that manages this property (state owned) claims a new furnace will be
> going in this summer.  we'll see.

Burnham V-87 30-year boiler, 252000 BTU/h.  The thing is overkill but I
love it.  Cast iron baseboard everywhere.

> i can't imagine that LPG for home heating is cheap.  probably more efficient
> than electric, but still damn expensive.

Sorry, I meant NG.  I'm amazed at how expensive NG and LPG are in the
northeast, out on the west coast they cost half what they do here per
therm or less.  Still, if I can get enough of a quantity break on LPG I'll
convert my NG dryer and toss the electric.

> knowing how much dryers and electric stoves consume, you'd be surprised how
> little impact they have on my power bill.  ;)

I'm just happy not to be paying $0.21/KW-hr anymore (for every KW-hr over
1000 per month).

-James