[rescue] Introduction + Cray Solaris questions

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Wed May 8 08:56:15 CDT 2002

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 10:20:34PM -0700, James Lockwood wrote:

> Oil is actually one of the most efficient ways to heat, end to end, if
> you've got a clean burning high efficiency boiler.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

there are markings on the side from when this thing has had it's regular
scheduled maint. done to it.  it hasn't been touched in YEARS.  i seriously
doubt that it's clean burning and high efficiency.  but then again, the realty
company that manages this property (state owned) claims a new furnace will be
going in this summer.  we'll see.

> Beats the heck out of
> electric

electric heat is the WORST.

> and propane, and LPG is only useful and economical in certain
> circumstances.  Solar has advantages but it has disadvantages too.

i can't imagine that LPG for home heating is cheap.  probably more efficient
than electric, but still damn expensive.

> Dryers and electric stoves suck power.  You might be surprised at how much
> they consume if you run them regularly.

knowing how much dryers and electric stoves consume, you'd be surprised how
little impact they have on my power bill.  ;)

-brian
--
Whoops, nevermind...  the compile just imploded, crashing the xterm it was
running in as well...  Thanks, Richard...              -- George Adkins --