[rescue] Introduction + Cray Solaris questions

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Wed May 8 10:48:37 CDT 2002

On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 08:05:51AM -0700, James Lockwood wrote:

> Burnham V-87 30-year boiler, 252000 BTU/h.  The thing is overkill but I
> love it.  Cast iron baseboard everywhere.

no cast iron baseboard here, they are copper with fins hidden behind cheaply
constructed "baseboard units".  this is one of those boiler systems that is
not new enough, nor is it old enough, to be good, it comes from that era of
crappy heating systems.  new boiler should help though i think.

> Sorry, I meant NG.  I'm amazed at how expensive NG and LPG are in the
> northeast, out on the west coast they cost half what they do here per
> therm or less.  Still, if I can get enough of a quantity break on LPG I'll
> convert my NG dryer and toss the electric.

my parents have a pool and hot tub combo (nice, i love visiting, heh) that is
heated by LPG.  it's insanely expensive.  although still cheaper than electric
would be. ;)

> I'm just happy not to be paying $0.21/KW-hr anymore (for every KW-hr over
> 1000 per month).

see, we're flip sides of each other.  you get cheap gas, we get cheap electric.
i was paying $0.08/KW-hr at my place in allentown, and i'd have to estimate
that i'm paying closer to $0.16/KW-hr here, but i haven't sat down and tried
to get the best deal yet either.  definitely need to do that before i power up
the SGI gear. ;)

-brian
--
Whoops, nevermind...  the compile just imploded, crashing the xterm it was
running in as well...  Thanks, Richard...              -- George Adkins --