[rescue] Nerd Desks?

David Rouse david at rouseworld.org
Sat May 4 20:00:54 CDT 2002

On Saturday, May 4, 2002, at 07:39  PM, Torquil MacCorkle III wrote:

> I know a lot of us have 10 or more networked computers at home and 5 or
> more
> monitors. I am wondering what everyone uses as a desk for this. I would
> like
> all my machines and monitors and keyboards located at one desk, and it
> seems
> all the desks you see are designed for 1-2 computers. (Please, if
> possible
> include pictures of your setup).

These days I mainly stick with just two computers with graphics monitors
(a ss10 and a PowerBook) and I found a nice desk at Staples that fits
them and associated gadgets.

http://www.rouseworld.org/pics/desk-050402.jpeg

The desk is from Sauder and the part numbers are 1031, 1035-110 and
1042-110.

But to answer your question, I have fit more two more monitors on this
desk. The round end of the return can fit a monitor and keyboard, the
monitor riser (where I have an external drive and airport) could be used
for an actual monitor (I had a CRT iMac on it for a while). Four
computers on this desk does work, but it gets rid of almost all the work
space.

I think the Right Thing is to go headless for as many machines as you
can manage, as a few other people have mentioned. If you have machines
that aren't useful headless (I have a few more macs) then give them
their own desks -- I've got a Mac that just does Quicken and Seti and it
has it's own "financial" desk, there I put all my bills, etc.

--
drouse