[rescue] Sun 711

George Adkins george at webbastard.org
Wed May 1 22:53:17 CDT 2002

> Actually I've found that multichannel controllers in general use less of
> their maximum throughput per channel than do single channel controllers.
> I've tested MTI, Mylex, adaptec, DPT and other brands before and it has
> proved true for all of them. That may be just because a single 32/33 or
> 64/66 PCI slot doesnt provide for enough bandwidth to effecitvely utilize
> all the channels however.

The 3 channel UltraWide AMI that I have pretty much saturates a 32/33 PCI bus
when it runs full out.  2 each 7200RPM/U160 drives per channel (6 total)
pushes ~90-95 MB/Sec sustained at Raid 0. (4 meg caches on the drives IIRC
and 32 Meg cache on the controller.)  And that's three 40MB/sec channels.

> On the PCI-X issue, that's great. Now are there high quality HBA's that
> support 64 bit 133mhz? I havent seen any yet, but if so than I'm all for
> them. I can't wait to get my hands on one to test if nothing else.

Compaq SmartArray 5312.  Dual channel, but the bus should support all the
bandwidth that two of them can generate.

George