[rescue] Sun 711

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Wed May 1 23:10:23 CDT 2002

90-95 out of 120 theoretical max is just under 80%, which is the rate I
predicted for good quality equipment. A 3 channel card that performs up to
that rate is doing an excellent job. I would have guessed you be closer to
75-80 MB/s/. Also that your PCI bus can push that much through surprises me
especially with the relatively small cache.

Just one question, how are you deriving that number? I'm not doubting you I
just want to know your testing method and software for future reference.
Personally I tend to use IOZone and Bonnie for UNIX and IOMeter for windows
(yeah I know IOMeter has issues), and I tend to do large numbers of test
runs with variable parameters (file sizes, chunk sizes, record size, cache
flushes etc...) I guess I'm just a cynic when it comes to benchmark numbers.
I always expect (and often get) the worst ;-)

As to the SmartArray, any experience with them? I've used some older model
stuff (Its been a few months since I've worked with any Compaq gear in a
meaningful way, and maybe a year since I've dealt with Compaq RAID at all)
but none of their newer gear.

Chris Byrne.