[rescue] a bit OT: iSCSI Patent issues

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Mar 28 19:09:48 CST 2002

> you can't have iSCSI support!  See http://lwn.net/2002/0328/ for an
> overview of the issue, and

What pisses me most about this:
   Does "digital content" not include the exabytes and exabytes of stuff
-already- available for free on in the Internet, and for a flat rate on
digital cable and digital satellite?  Why does "digital content" only mean
"stupid Disney movies", "Metallica's latest gee-I-wish-we-were-still-
metal-and-didn't-suck album", or "the latest episode of $stupidTVshow".
   Isn't, oh "the complete source code to OpenBSD", "Solaris 8 for SPARC",
"the Google search engine" or $joeRandomNewsSite digital content?
Perhaps, one could even say that the amount of money poured into Solaris 8
-far- exceeds the latest blockbuster, and the man-hours poured into
OpenBSD far exceeds the latest episode of X-Files.

There's plenty of f-ing digital content to be had, and people apparently
aren't hindered in posting by the lack of some retarded copy-protection
crap.  Were this to be a poorly-planned CX Debate case (rather than a
wholly impotent piece of legislation), it would fall flat on its face for
lack of an inherent barrier.

Oh, and while I'm at it WTF is a "digital media device"?  A piece of graph
paper and a pencil can be proven to fulfill all the requirements of a
"digital media device".  Hell, we used to use -paper tape- and -punch
cards- to store digital data!

"I'm sorry but your purchase of that magnifying glass is prohibited under
the Content Publishers' and Copyright Owners' Income Protection Act of
2002".

Grr.

--Jonathan