[rescue] a bit OT: iSCSI Patent issues

Nathaniel Grady nate at physics.ait.fredonia.edu
Thu Mar 28 18:40:50 CST 2002

I know this is a bit OT, but I know many of you are IT managers, NetBSD
zelots and general computer geeks and therefore might be interested in
knowing that the IPS working group is considering making the "Secure
Remote Password" (SRP) protocol, which is described in RFC 2945, a
mandatory part of the iSCSI standard. If you are annoyed by the lack of
support in opensource OS's for FC-AL networking boards, just wait until
you can't have iSCSI support!  See http://lwn.net/2002/0328/ for an
overview of the issue, and
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/ips-charter.html for the IPS Working
Group. Sorry for the off-topic post, but this seems like something a
number of listonions might care about.

--

--Nathaniel Grady

   /*\              ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN
   \ /              - AGAINST HTML EMAIL
    X               - AGAINST MS ATTACHMENTS
   / \