[rescue] Re: need IRIX CD (C Front End CD)

Guy Yasko gyasko at mx7.ttcn.ne.jp
Tue Mar 26 10:07:31 CST 2002

    >> and from the searching i've done, this is supposedly found on
    >> the C Front End CD, whatever the hell that is.
    >>
    >> > It *is* there - though it's hidden, and I think it requires
    >> the 6.5 CDs > plus th 6.5.x overlays in order to fully install.
    >>
    >> if you can find these three packages, or tell me where they can
    >> be found, that would rock.
    >>

    Mike> Does the IRIX 6.5 CDs come with the compiler itself, or just
    Mike> the headers and libraries required to get another compiler
    Mike> like gcc working?

headers and libraries and some other stuff like a compiler for kernel
reconfigurations.

    Mike> My understanding is that the compiler was at one time a
    Mike> separate package that had to be purchased from SGI, and is
    Mike> not part of the OS distribution, or did that change with
    Mike> 6.5?

there was no change, you still need to get the compiler separately.
what did change was that the 'development library' and 'development
environment' became part of the o.s.  if you get a used machine
without irix media, you need to be sure that these are installed,
though.

ciao,

g.y.

Guy Yasko -- gyasko at mx7.ttcn.ne.jp