[rescue] Re: need IRIX CD (C Front End CD)

Brian Hechinger wonko at arkham.ws
Tue Mar 26 10:10:35 CST 2002

On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 01:07:31AM +0900, Guy Yasko wrote:

>     Mike> Does the IRIX 6.5 CDs come with the compiler itself, or just
>     Mike> the headers and libraries required to get another compiler
>     Mike> like gcc working?
>
> headers and libraries and some other stuff like a compiler for kernel
> reconfigurations.
>
>     Mike> My understanding is that the compiler was at one time a
>     Mike> separate package that had to be purchased from SGI, and is
>     Mike> not part of the OS distribution, or did that change with
>     Mike> 6.5?
>
> there was no change, you still need to get the compiler separately.
> what did change was that the 'development library' and 'development
> environment' became part of the o.s.  if you get a used machine
> without irix media, you need to be sure that these are installed,
> though.

6.5 comes with MIPSpro 7.2.1 you just need a key to unlock it, with the
exception of these three packages that only seem to be missing when attempting
to go to 7.3.12.  but you have a completely functional copy of 7.2.1 available
to you with the IRIX media.  you just can't use it. ;(

-brian
--
"Oh, shut up Buddha."  -Jesus Christ (South Park)