[rescue] Thoughts on system noise...

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Mar 25 01:18:24 CST 2002

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 01:10:53AM -0600, Shawn Wallbridge wrote:
> I just picked up a 15k rpm Cheetah and I was expecting to add a couple more
> fans to my machine to keep it cool, but I was surprised to find that it
> doesn't really run that hot. Not nearly as hot as the 10k Cheetah I had at
> work.

I'll keep that in mind.  But, cheap narrow cheetahs don't seem to exist.
Narrow 4gig Barracudas are pretty chip, and split 4 or more spindles over
2 scsi busses is pretty fast.

On the other hand, large lots of fast wide drives occasionally show up cheap,
and some fast wide cards are reasonably cheap (like the ATTOs cards used in
Avids).  We will see.  One of the major influencers is if I start to get
promising results from my Macs.  If not, I'm going to hold out for an O2,
and in an O2, I will be forced to go with either ultra wide or FC-AL, and
then cheetahs start looking better.

> I also expected it to be much louder, but again it has surprised me. It's
> loud, but not that loud. My older Atlas IV is louder.

> But it is nice and fast.

That's handy to know.

--
Joshua D. Boyd