[rescue] Thoughts on system noise...

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Mon Mar 25 02:47:04 CST 2002

[ On Monday, March 25, 2002 at 01:10:53 (-0600), Shawn Wallbridge wrote: ]
> Subject: RE: [rescue] Thoughts on system noise...
>
> I just picked up a 15k rpm Cheetah and I was expecting to add a couple more
> fans to my machine to keep it cool, but I was surprised to find that it
> doesn't really run that hot. Not nearly as hot as the 10k Cheetah I had at
> work.

Older Cheetahs came with a little book that (among other things) told
you exactly how much air flow they needed and in what direction(s).  I
think that was because the company had gained a bad reputation from some
older models that regularly fried themselves and surrounding
electronics.  (I once got a blister from a drive sitting in up in open
air in an air-conditioned office.)

Newer Cheetahs (even the newer 10k rpm models) don't come with the
cooling requirements so prominently documented in the new little
book....  :-)

--
								Greg A. Woods