[rescue] Thoughts on system noise...

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Mar 25 00:50:25 CST 2002

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 12:49:40AM -0500, Bill Vinson wrote:
> I believe it is the 1GB SCSI not the fan.  I like the sound of system
> fans, but all of the 1GB SCSI drives I have tried are exceeding loud.
> All of the Seagates seem to have a high pitched whine...
>
> And no, all of my PCs and macs are quieter...
>
> I think I need to experiment more with the system drive as that is the
> main issue.

In general, my old drives are all pretty loud.  The 1 gig drive in my IPX
(brand forgotten) is pretty reasonably.  Of never drives, like from the
past 7-8 years (for instance all the 2 gig IDEs I still have and use), the
only really irritating one is my Barracuda 4 4.3gig drive.  My Barracuda
2gig SCA drive is quite though.

What do people think of the volumes of other Baracuda 4s?  What about the 4XL?
They are fairly fast disks, a lot more reliable that Cheetahs (which are fine
if you are very careful with cooling), and I generally like ones I have,
except for the volume of the one.  I'm not sure how I could deal with sitting
next to a couple of 4-16 drive arrays if they all sound like the loud one.

--
Joshua D. Boyd