[rescue] Re: Sad end to SGI Power Challenge XL story

Simon Pigot simon at dpiwe.tas.gov.au
Thu Mar 21 16:33:26 CST 2002

> Message: 2
> From: <ghub005 at xtra.co.nz>
> To: rescue at sunhelp.org
> Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 3:27:34 +1200
> Subject: [rescue] Re: Sad end to SGI Power Challenge XL story
>
> <<Simon said:
>
> Yep. Another suggestion would be to chase down a Challenge L backplane,
> you can then run three IP19s, IP21s or IP25s. I saw an L backplane with
> power boards for $100USD on ebay a week or so ago.
>
> IP21s (ie. dual R8000 @ 75 or 90MHz) are especially good value for those
> interested in fp work.
> >>

> Thanks for the info, but will it be enough for me just to get the Challenge L backplane? Will I need additional parts to complete the upgrade e.g. the power supply?

Power supply/OLS unit is now the same on all single phase Onyx/Challenge
machines - racks just use two of them - so no problems there. Onyx
InfiniteReality used to have an uprated powr supply/OLS but this is
now/should be gone - see below. So all you need will be the backplane -
power boards are the same (and the ebus boards have their power
convertors onboard anyway) but its useful to have spares obviously.

Does it have the new power supply/OLS from the free SGI field change
order last year? I found a lot of annoying things like - occasional
failure to start (no DC good LED) when the key is switched on OR
occasional "power failure" OR even "blower A/B failure" messages went
away after the new power supply/ols unit(s) were installed. Thanks SGI!
:-)

Cheers,
Simon