[rescue] Somewhat desparate... need to re-rescue a printer

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Thu Mar 14 22:49:12 CST 2002

I have been working with my old Laserjet III jalopy for the last few
days trying thing after thing to get the beastie to print from the Mac
on OS X.  I recently revived my JetDirect XIO card from the closet and
got it to configure using Bootp on my Sparc LX so it has an IP and all
the goodies set by tftp.  I could print directly to the port raw via
Windows 2000, but nowhere else including the Sparc.  I finally figured
out that the interface script was postscript not net_lj3plus (the script
itself not the printer) which was for the old 339xx cartridges which is
what I have so I get lp working on the Sun, and also LPR from the Win 2K
box as well.  The Macintosh running Classic also likes it in LPR mode...
well I've spent two days working on getting Print Center to work with it
in LPR mode... turns out (it starts flashing and then stops without
printing)  OS X only prints using PS Level 2.  Well I find out that I
should have gotten the Postscript Plus cartridge...  does anyone have
one of these they aren't using... every place on the Internet wants to
gouge the crap out of me for it.  I only paid $189 for the printer in
totally new condition a year ago on e-bay.  I am also unemployed so I'm
not trying to spend too much.  Also does anyone have the 4MB Board for
it as well.  I have a 2MB board from a IIP that came with the thing, and
although it works fine, this is not listed as a supported configuration.

Thanks,
Andrew