[rescue] crle and LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Thu Mar 14 13:23:09 CST 2002

Okay,  I picked up the tip from you folks about crle (or was it you
folks and the fixsolaris...).  Anyway, I've discovered that adding
/usr/local/lib via crle is a nice trick to allow programs to find
their shared libraries, but that doesn't work for ld when MAKING
the shared libraries apparently...  Ugh.

I discovered this when attempting to compile imlib and imlib2 under
Solaris 8.  Now, are the imlib libraries brain damaged for not
including a '-L/usr/local/lib' or is Sun kindof brain damaged for
providing crle that ld ingnores?  Or is there some other neat
trick that I haven't picked up on?

And actually, exporting LD_LIBRARY_PATH didn't work for compiling
the library... I had to edit the makefiles (which is silly when
using an autoconf-based package)

--Kurt