[rescue] win2k admin password hack?

Scott Newell newell at cei.net
Tue Mar 12 20:19:01 CST 2002

>maybe i'm jst a BOFH, no, i take that back, i *AM* a BOFH.  if it had been me
>in that situation, that machine would have sat where he left it till he
came in
>and gave me the password.  i probably would have made him beg a lot too at
that
>point since he obviously deserves it.

Here's the situation:  the machine was sold to a customer as part of a
fairly large machinery installation.  They've been happy with it, but
recently upgraded to 2k (with my blessing), and didn't get all the software
and hardware installed properly.  Apparently their PC weenie (probably a
MCSE) couldn't follow my pages of troubleshooting hints, so they gave up
and sent the box back to me.  Understandable--I could fix it quicker than
explaining it to someone else.

Now when this same customer is about to release a purchase order for a six
figure project, and the choice is to either suck it up and spend a couple
of hours fixing the box, or sit on it and try to teach 'em a lesson, well,
I caved.  Guess that's why I'm not an admin... :-)

BOFH:  I did change the admin password in the process, and I told them that
I changed it, but I haven't (yet) given them the new password.  Does that
redeem me, at least slightly?

newell