[rescue] Re: SunOS 4.0.3 tape images

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Mon Mar 11 06:42:54 CST 2002

On Sun, Mar 10, 2002 at 03:46:01PM -0500, Steve Sandau wrote:

> dd on Linux doesn't take the "files=" parameter. Thought I needed
> that, so I put the drive on a BSD box where dd understands files=.
Use the non-rewind on close device and do several dd in sequence
to get all files from a tape. (somthing like /dec/nrst0)

> I made images of the tapes. The size seemed reasonable. But I couldn't
> make a bootable tape out of the images.
For boot tapes the record size is often importand. Note that you can
not specify the record size with the bs= parameter of dd. You have
to use a special tape writing programm to do this. I use maketape
from the 2.11BSD distribution that can be found in the PUPS archive:
http://www.pups.org/
And somewhere in the archive is a copytape...
--

tsch|_,
         Jochen