[rescue] Re: SunOS 4.0.3 tape images

Steve Sandau ssandau at bath.tmac.com
Mon Mar 11 06:58:15 CST 2002

> > dd on Linux doesn't take the "files=" parameter. Thought I needed
> > that, so I put the drive on a BSD box where dd understands files=.
> Use the non-rewind on close device and do several dd in sequence
> to get all files from a tape. (somthing like /dec/nrst0)

Yes, this was how I finally got 9 files off the first tape last night.

> > I made images of the tapes. The size seemed reasonable. But I couldn't
> > make a bootable tape out of the images.
> For boot tapes the record size is often importand. Note that you can
> not specify the record size with the bs= parameter of dd. You have

Didn't know that. Thanks. You may have just saved me several hours,
since I have to move the tape drive from the BSD box to my 3/80 and
reboot it to see if the tape works. ;)

> to use a special tape writing programm to do this. I use maketape
> from the 2.11BSD distribution that can be found in the PUPS archive:
> http://www.pups.org/
> And somewhere in the archive is a copytape...

Thanks. I'll look at maketape. I also discovered tcopy which (along with
something called mtscan that I have) gives me a peek into the file
structure on the tape. tcopy on NetBSD doesn't seem to like the block
size on the second file though. I'm taking the tapes and my drive to
work to see if I can copy tape to tape first.

Thanks for the info...

--
Steve Sandau
ssandau at bath.tmac.com