[rescue] Quadra 840av questions

Jeff Borisch jborisch at columbus.rr.com
Mon Mar 11 01:43:06 CST 2002

Joshua D Boyd wrote:

>> Sounds right to me. while you are at it double check your termination.
>
> What am I looking for for termination?  The HD works.  The HD uses the last
> connector on the cable (of four connectors), the CD-ROM uses the first
> connector.  I've only tried dealing with termination on external devices,
> so am clueless to what to look for here.

The cd and hd are both internal right? Just double check the HD is jumpered
term on (since it is last) and the CD is not. If the HD is stock, it is
probably a quantum. you can get jumper diagrams from maxtor's site now. It
is a pita getting them out of the box though. not one of apple's better
designs for serviceability.

> I thought I was using MacTCP, but I don't know why.  The control panel is
> labeled TCP/IP.  I set my IP,etc manually.  I set it to advanced
> configuration.  I go to Get Info, and it tells me that I'm using OpenTransport
> 1.1.1.  So, I'm not using MacTCP apparently.  It also says:
> This Macintosh: 192.168.0.103
> Hardware address: < not applicable >

It won't display a hardware address if it doesn't get a link. But you
already said you got link good lights.

> Hmm.  Maybe now we are getting somewhere.  I seem to remeber seeing a hardware
> address in some dialog on this machine.  More poking is required.

I remember there was something about deselecting the option to "load only
when needed" under the TCP/IP options. That helped someones problem of their
link dropping out on a stubborn switch. Worth a shot.

as always, good luck.

--jeff