[rescue] OSF1

George Adkins george at webbastard.org
Fri Mar 8 09:06:35 CST 2002

> And you get tired of doing it by hand when you have a few hundred[0]
> systems and you need to drop something into a complex system with
> minimal hassle etc.
>
> I don't know if that's supposed to be a somehow disturbing quality in
> me, but I like .. a good order. What I hate about (Net)BSD is that I
> have to futz so much by hand to get something as simple as "yes, start
> this on boot" done for services. Not even all of them alike.

what's the hassle about:
Ballocks$ vi /etc/rc.local
you can even script it's addition if you like...

> and I hate
> miniroot installs. No-one manages the base software and that's a metric
> buttload or at least half of in today's systems.

Yeah, sure, if you're using SysV bloatware.  How much of a metric buttload of
software do you have to manage in a 170M NetBSD load?

"all that extra software" is exactly that, Software.  I don't even think it
should be included in a base OS load.  Sure, ship it as option software on
extra CD's, but if I'm doing a base install for a nameserver (for instance) I
don't need to install Openwindows and CDE.  Just load the OS, manage all the
damn software later, when you have the system up.

echo '/usr/local/bin/halond=YES halond_flags="fast"'>>/etc/rc.local
> chkconfig flamesuppressor on

Aha! an IRIX Weenie!  : )

George