[rescue] OSF1

Brian Hechinger wonko at arkham.ws
Fri Mar 8 14:33:12 CST 2002

On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 10:06:35AM -0500, George Adkins wrote:

> > and I hate
> > miniroot installs. No-one manages the base software and that's a metric
> > buttload or at least half of in today's systems.
>
> Yeah, sure, if you're using SysV bloatware.  How much of a metric buttload of
> software do you have to manage in a 170M NetBSD load?
>
> "all that extra software" is exactly that, Software.  I don't even think it
> should be included in a base OS load.  Sure, ship it as option software on
> extra CD's, but if I'm doing a base install for a nameserver (for instance) I
> don't need to install Openwindows and CDE.  Just load the OS, manage all the
> damn software later, when you have the system up.

why do you feel that you *NEED* to install all that stuff?  my old firewall
didn't have Openwindows or CDE, or even the development shit for that matter.
i could install gcc, and it would do me no good on that box.  i think the total
install that i did on that machine was 200M-300M of disk space used.  the
current firewall is my only sparc64 box, so it's got the devel stuff on it so i
can build packages for it and it tops out at 500M disk space used.  so don't
knock solaris for being "bloated" without knowing all the facts.  there is in
install option other than the "everything and the kitchen sink" option.
although that *IS* the one they try to make you use by default. :)

> > chkconfig flamesuppressor on
> Aha! an IRIX Weenie!  : )

i caught that too.  wouldn't have known that if i hadn't of gotten this sgi
gear. :)

speaking of which, CDs haven't shown up in the mail yet, so does anyone have
ISO images for 6.5.x for me?  i really need it right now.

thanks,

-brian

--
"Oh, shut up Buddha."  -Jesus Christ (South Park)