[rescue] OSF1

Harri Haataja harri.haataja at cs.Helsinki.FI
Fri Mar 8 02:32:52 CST 2002

On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 11:17:37PM -0500, Brian Hechinger wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 08:33:46PM -0500, Steve Sandau wrote:
> >
> > I'm on George's side. Unnecessarily complicated is, well, unnecessary.

Unless it's actually useful enough to justify.

I don't like the extra load and processing and all that but I do like
the ideas and the way a nice SysV init works.

> > For me, BSD scripts do indeed Just Work. And when it's time to
> > find/change something, I actually know where to look! It's all in the
> > same place! What a concept!
>
> i know where to look as well on sysV.  it's not a bad system.  maybe a little
> clunky, but greatly simplifies applications installing their own startup bits.
> yeah yeah yeah, i could do it by hand, but sometimes it's nicer this way.

Me too.

And you get tired of doing it by hand when you have a few hundred[0]
systems and you need to drop something into a complex system with
minimal hassle etc.
I don't know if that's supposed to be a somehow disturbing quality in
me, but I like .. a good order. What I hate about (Net)BSD is that I
have to futz so much by hand to get something as simple as "yes, start
this on boot" done for services. Not even all of them alike. and I hate
miniroot installs. No-one manages the base software and that's a metric
buttload or at least half of in today's systems.

chkconfig flamesuppressor on

[0] If you're particularly hard-headed, just up the number :^)

--
ALL programs are poems, it's just that not all programmers are poets.
	-- Jonathan Guthrie