[rescue] OSF1

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Thu Mar 7 17:34:47 CST 2002

On 2002.03.07 21:17 Mike Meredith wrote:

[OSF1]
> It claims to be SysV? I haven't seen that myself.
OK. It has a SysV style init with runlevels and it has "UNIX" in four
capitals in its name. AFAIK "UNIX" is a TM and is tied to SysV.

> Technically it's Mach with a Unix single-server.
Aha. Didn't know that.

> The flavour of it is both SysV and BSD ---
> as a trivial example, ps aux work as you would expect, and so does ps
-ef
Yes. Perhaps that "ps awx" works is why I immediately feelt at home. ;-)

> > And: The AdvFS of Tru64 is superior to *BSD FFS, even with softdeps.
> > It is very fast, flexible and jornaled / log structured.
> Older versions had some problems with certain kinds of activities such
> as news spools and proxy cache filesystems.
I know. We had this discussion recently...

> But yes, AdvFS (especially with the extended utilities that
> allow you to add and remove partitions
> from a mounted filesystem) is very nice.
Ohhh yes. The whole concept, to distinguish data sorage and file name
space, and the resulting features is what gets me.
--

tsch|_,
         Jochen