[rescue] OSF1

Mike Meredith hmv at meredithm.fsnet.co.uk
Thu Mar 7 14:17:13 CST 2002

On Thursday 07 March 2002 12:52, you wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 10:30:15PM -0500, George Adkins wrote:
> > Install OSF1, plan on learning new OS....
>
> I am a long years NetBSD user and I am now using Tru64 5.1 on my
> PWS 500au. I like ist. It is a nice *ix. It claims to be SysV,
> but I saw the kernel config file. Very, _very_ BSDish.

It claims to be SysV? I haven't seen that myself.

Technically it's Mach with a Unix single-server. The flavour of it is
both SysV and BSD --- as a trivial example, ps aux work as you would
expect, and so does ps -ef

> And: The AdvFS of Tru64 is superior to *BSD FFS, even with softdeps.
> It is very fast, flexible and jornaled / log structured.

Older versions had some problems with certain kinds of activities such
as news spools and proxy cache filesystems. But yes, AdvFS (especially
with the extended utilities that allow you to add and remove partitions
from a mounted filesystem) is very nice.