[rescue] Mac stuff rescue

Guy Yasko gyasko at mx7.ttcn.ne.jp
Mon Mar 4 22:19:21 CST 2002

    GY> so barring 68lc040 flakiness, you should be fine.
    GY>

    Mike> This is a big "bar".  The lc040 bug has caused quite a bit
    Mike> of problems for the NetBSD/Debian 68k crowd.  Some things
    Mike> work.  Some don't.

wasn't there was a class action suit about the lc040?  if i remember
correctly apple lost the suit.  it seems then that the lc040 doesn't
really even run mac os properly, to say nothing of *bsd, linux, etc.

    GY> this reminds me of an important rescue project i have: making
    GY> a powerbook 100 functional again.  the hard drive on my wife's
    GY> pb100 recently died (after about 10yrs).  i got a 'new' hard
    GY> drive, only to find that the mac hd formatter doesn't want to
    GY> format non-apple disks.  (i have a fujitsu one here).  i'd
    GY> format the disk on another machine, but then i'd need to find
    GY> or make an adapter for the 2.5" scsi hard drive.  i tried
    GY> accessing the drive from a linux pc with the powerbook in
    GY> 'scsi-mode', but i couldn't get the other computer to do
    GY> anything with disk. any ideas, suggestions?

    Mike> The thing to do is find an old Power Computing 7.6 cd and
    Mike> boot from an external CD-Rom with a held-down "C" or
    Mike> "command-option-shift-delete" on the keyboard.  The Power
    Mike> Computing CD's had good little formatter in there that
    Mike> didn't really care what drive you had in it.  Once it's
    Mike> formatted you can load anything on it from any media...or
    Mike> you could just load the 7.6 on the Cd from that point...;-)

will the powerbook 100 run 7.6?  this is a machine with 4mb of ram and
a m68000.  for that matter, will it boot off a cd?

Guy Yasko -- gyasko at mx7.ttcn.ne.jp

fortune: /usr/freeware/share/games: No fortune files in directory.
fortune:/usr/freeware/share/games not a fortune file or directory
/usr/freeware/bin/bash: /fortunes/zippy: No such file or directory