[rescue] Mac stuff rescue

Mike Hebel nimitz at owc.net
Mon Mar 4 12:03:16 CST 2002

GY>  so barring 68lc040 flakiness, you
GY> should be fine.

This is a big "bar".  The lc040 bug has caused quite a bit of problems
for the NetBSD/Debian 68k crowd.  Some things work.  Some don't.

GY> this reminds me of an important rescue project i have: making a
GY> powerbook 100 functional again.  the hard drive on my wife's pb100
GY> recently died (after about 10yrs).  i got a 'new' hard drive, only to
GY> find that the mac hd formatter doesn't want to format non-apple disks.
GY> (i have a fujitsu one here).  i'd format the disk on another machine,
GY> but then i'd need to find or make an adapter for the 2.5" scsi hard
GY> drive.  i tried accessing the drive from a linux pc with the powerbook
GY> in 'scsi-mode', but i couldn't get the other computer to do anything
GY> with disk. any ideas, suggestions?

The thing to do is find an old Power Computing 7.6 cd and boot from an
external CD-Rom with a held-down "C" or "command-option-shift-delete"
on the keyboard.  The Power Computing CD's had good little formatter
in there that didn't really care what drive you had in it.  Once it's
formatted you can load anything on it from any media...or you could
just load the 7.6 on the Cd from that point...;-)

Contact me off list and we'll see about finding you a CD.  I _may_
have a copy lying around.

Mike                         mailto:nimitz at owc.net