[rescue] Mac stuff rescue

Guy Yasko gyasko at mx7.ttcn.ne.jp
Mon Mar 4 10:57:23 CST 2002

    >> > I have been looking for an AppleTalk <-> Ethernet bridge
    >> (cheap/free, see my > "cheap" post in geeks), so I can connect
    >> my 4 Mac SE, SE/30's to the rest of > the world. I actually
    >> like AppleTalk.
    >>
    >> By a cheap nubus mac, throw an ethernet card in it, and run
    >> netbsd?
    >>
    Steve> I was wondering if NetBSD supported AppleTalk. Do I take
    Steve> your suggestion to mean that is does? I installed NetBSD on
    Steve> a Centris 610 (only has a 68LC040 chip so it dumps core a
    Steve> lot) but could put it on an LC2 (with an FPU) to make a
    Steve> gateway, too...

there's a netatalk port for netbsd, so barring 68lc040 flakiness, you
should be fine.

this reminds me of an important rescue project i have: making a
powerbook 100 functional again.  the hard drive on my wife's pb100
recently died (after about 10yrs).  i got a 'new' hard drive, only to
find that the mac hd formatter doesn't want to format non-apple disks.
(i have a fujitsu one here).  i'd format the disk on another machine,
but then i'd need to find or make an adapter for the 2.5" scsi hard
drive.  i tried accessing the drive from a linux pc with the powerbook
in 'scsi-mode', but i couldn't get the other computer to do anything
with disk. any ideas, suggestions?

once i get it going again, i'll hook it up via appletalk to the irix
machines here.

thanks in advance.

Guy Yasko -- gyasko at mx7.ttcn.ne.jp

The appreciation of the average visual graphisticator alone is worth
the whole suaveness and decadence which abounds!!