[rescue] AlphaServer 1000A -- ME TOO!!!

Simeon Johnston simeonuj at indivisuallearning.com
Wed Jun 26 14:38:19 CDT 2002

Got Debian-Alpha GNU/Linux installed and running (because it was the
fastest way to get something running on this machine).
Grabbed a 4GB 10000 RPM drive from a different machine and slapped it in
there.
Finally got Debian to install correctly (there not too helpfull w/ the
whole partitioning w/ BSD label etc.  They also don't have console
support so I had to grab a PCI display card).

It's running though. :-)

What kind of speed should I expect out of these machines?  It seems a
bit slugish over ssh but I don't know what to compare it with.  I do
know it's a lot faster than my SparcServer 10.  But the speed doesn't
quite compare to some x86 servers we have (=>750MHz) over ssh.  Havn't
done any real load testing though.

sim

I'm contemplating a dedicated Linux Unreal Tournament server for a
start.  :-)
Not a GREAT test but I have something to compare it with at least.