[rescue] AlphaServer 1000A -- ME TOO!!!

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Wed Jun 26 07:25:44 CDT 2002

On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 02:25:07PM -0500, Simeon Johnston wrote:
> WOOOHOOOOO!!!!
> We just got 4 AlphaServer 1000A 5/400RM systems here from surplus.
>  Don't know how much we paid (if at all?).
> PLUS -- AlphaServer 1000A 5/233 or something... can't remember.
> With SCSI Raid BOX (7200RPM SCA - 18GB each) and Digital DLT autoloader
> (7 tape).

suh-weet!

> I've only booted up one of them into AlphaBios but it has 512MB ram and
> I can pretty safely assume the rest are the same.  There old military boxen.

very nice.

> Came with a crap load of cables and an FDDI card for each machine (I
> have no idea what good these will do though).  I haven't sorted through
> the boxes that came with them yet though.

if they are all DAS (Dual Attach Station) cards (i'm assumining they are DAS
DEFPAs since those are pretty common in alphas) you hook port A of one to port
B of the next and keep going until you have them all connected in a ring.  you
now have 100Mbps (100Mbs for DATA, they actually talk 125Mbps and use the extra
25Mbps for control) with an MTU of 4500.  great for moving large chunks of data
around.

> Man THIS ROCKS!!  Now what to do with them.....

see above, link them all together with the FDDI, install VMS on them, and build
youself one silly cluster.

as to what you do with that?  i don't know.  drool on it?  ;)

alpha clusters make great database servers if you've got the software (email
me privately and we'll talk about that)

-brian
--
"I mean Twinkies are good but getting shot really hurts."
				-- http://www.thisisatastyburger.com/ --