[rescue] SMP on intel wasteful?

George Adkins george at webbastard.org
Tue Jun 25 18:30:56 CDT 2002

> > Employees are totally clueless,
> That's a very dangerous assumption to make, especially if you've managed
> some of the shops that I've been in.
Perhaps in some of the shops you've been in, however in this company they ARE
clueless (I should have said _these_ employees.)

> Bugtraq is open to the public ya know.
Yes, but these people don't even know what Bugtraq is..  I know
*every*single*person* who has access to the internal Network _personally_.
They are all really _that_ clueless.

> Well when your CEO is insisting on letting visitors plug in to check
> their mail, there's not a lot of choice in the matter.  At least I got
> that in writing to cover my assets.

heh, if the President or the CEO told me to allow a visitor to plug into a
non-DMZ Ethernet port, I'd say no.  And that would be that.  Period.
as the IT Director for the company, that's _MY_ call, and I have that in
writing too.  I work directly for and report only to the President.  If
anyone want's to override my decisions or policies, they will have to cut me
a severance check and cash out my interest in the corporation first.

> > I (like most sysadmins who know what they're doing) take Security
> > Seriously.
> But at the same time you don't take employees seriously.
> Those approaches are mutually exclusive.
heh, I take the employees seriously, when they hire someone with enough clue
to crack one of the servers at $WORK, it's because that employee's coming to
work for me anyway.  There is one (count that, one) employee outside my
department who has the root password set, and that's the General Manager.
They are in a little paper envelope locked in a safe-deposit box offsite,
just in case they ever have to fire my whole department while I'm on vacation.

George